Tuesday, April 3, 2007

She heard what they were doing.

He pushed off with one foot and sailed away straight on the other and presently, walking firmly, Oliver came back.
He sat on the bench beside me, his eyelids slightly reddened, his manner calm.
Sorry, he said, after a while.
She died happy, I said. It's better than nothing.
How do you mean?
She picked up the shampoo Shane dropped. She was coming to tell you that everything was all right, there was nothing wrong with Sandcastle and you wouldn't lose the farm. At the moment she died she must have been full of joy.
Oliver raised his face to the pale summer sky.
Do you think so?
Yes, I do.
Then I'll believe it, he said.
October
was coming up to sixty, the age at which everyone retired from Ekaterin's, like it or not. The bustle of young brains, the founder Paul had said, was what kept money moving, and his concept still ruled in the house.
had his regrets but they were balanced, it seemed to me, by a sense of relief. He had battled for three years now against his palsy and had finished the allotted work span honorably in the face of the enemy within. He began saying he was looking forward to his leisure, and that he and Judith would go on a celebratory journey as soon as possible. Before that, however, he was to be away for a day of medical tests in hospital.
Such a bore, he said, but they want to make these checks and set me up before we travel.
Very sensible, I said. Where will you go?
He smiled with enthusiasm. I've always wanted to see Australia. Never been there, you know.
Nor have I.

No comments: